Literacy Narrative - Strawberry: A Grandpas Influence on Literature






                 

Strawberry



                Reading strongly impacted my life from a young age. I began learning to read at around age four, not to declare that I understood and analyzed what I read, but it began sparked my journey and hunger for literature in almost every form. This journey began with my grandfather, or Gramps as I called him. He encouraged me to continue reading even after I felt discouraged for reading a word wrong or not being able to pronounce a wordI thank Gramps for many precious gifts, such as the house I live in, the food I enjoy, and most significant of all, my ability to comprehend and understand words on paper. 


Historic Segundo Barrio in #ElPaso is saturated with mural… | Flickr                                       Vietnam Veteran Cap On White Background Stock Photo - Download Image Now -  iStock


A mural from the Barrio Gramps grew up.                  A hat, just like the one Gramps wore everywhere


One of my best memories with Gramps is trying to read a book. I got stuck on a word and instead of allowing me to give up, Gramps made us stay there until I understood what the word was: Strawberry.

Strawberry, red, ma, fruit, strawberries - free image from needpix.com


Besides that, literature helped me connect with a very special person in my life that stood by my side no matter what. He encouraged me to continuously try my hardest. I never got the chance to truly say goodbye to my Gramps before he passed away, but a book he recommended years before made me feel closer to him more than ever before. The book, Gabi, a girl in pieces, follows the story of a young girl who is finding her way throughout high school. With boy problems, family issues, and other Young Adult problems, she finds her way through.


The specific part that I believe my Grandpa left for me is a poem that Gabi writes about her Grandfather and his passing away.


It felt somber and made me burst into tears as I read each word. Every stanza hitting me in the heart. At the end, I felt relieved, like a burden that sat on my shoulders for nearly a year and a half had grown wings and flown away from me.


I am truly thankful for the book my grandfather left me, and the fact that my literacy, provided by my grandpa and wonderful teachers, got me throughout my lifetime.




Comments

Popular

Profile-The San Jacinto Plaza

Feisty Grandma + Middle School = Cultural Literacy-Literacy Narrative

Reflection-A Family’s History in One Photo

Report-Blood Transfusions, Worth The Risk?

Literacy Narrative