Literacy Narrative

 


My relationship with literacy is bittersweet, I don’t like writing essays for a class, yet I love reading and writing messages from my loved ones. There are a few factors that contributed to my literacy journey but the main factor is my mom.

My favorite picture of me and my mom

From a very young age my mom has always been involved in my life. She encouraged me to constantly read, and for a long period of time I was an avid reader. Little Women, Black Beauty, and even Gone with the Wind, are just some of the classics I have read as a child. I’ve been told that even as a young girl I would regularly write little notes for my parents, it was always a way to express what I was feeling when I could not speak the words. She was the most positive impact on my journey, but as I made my way through each school grade the relationship between me and literacy turned sour. All of a sudden reading and writing became a chore, and an unpleasant one at that, I no longer enjoyed writing. As a result English classes became my worst subject, I did not understand why all of a sudden it was so hard to express my feelings into an essay.

Comments

Popular

Profile-The San Jacinto Plaza

Feisty Grandma + Middle School = Cultural Literacy-Literacy Narrative

Reflection-A Family’s History in One Photo

Literacy Narrative - Strawberry: A Grandpas Influence on Literature

Report-Blood Transfusions, Worth The Risk?